Mystery Surrounds What Happened to Burundian Troops and FARDC Forces in the Hills of Minembwe (Mulenge)
In the highland areas of Mulenge, particularly around Mikenke and Point Zero in Mwenga Territory, South Kivu Province of the Democratic Republic of Congo, reports have emerged of a major drone attack that allegedly killed a large number of soldiers fighting on the side of the Congolese government and its allies, including Burundian troops, Wazalendo fighters, and FDLR combatants.
These reports have continued to spread across the Minembwe region and on social media following the circulation of videos and testimonies showing numerous bodies of soldiers said to have been killed by drone strikes in the areas of Mikenke and Point Zero.
According to residents and reliable local sources close to where the attacks reportedly occurred, on Wednesday, 20/05/2026, in the evening hours, loud sounds of unmanned aerial vehicles (drones) were heard before heavy explosions began striking the positions of FARDC forces and their allies.
Some eyewitnesses initially suspected that the drone belonged to FARDC and had mistakenly targeted its own troops. However, other reports later circulated suggesting that the drone may not have belonged to FARDC, and its origin remains unknown at this time.
The drone reportedly targeted military positions in Mikenke and at Point Zero, where large numbers of FARDC soldiers, Burundian troops, Wazalendo fighters, and FDLR combatants had been conducting joint military operations in recent days.
Messages received by Minembwe Capital News from individuals near the scene of the attacks indicate that the death toll could be extremely high.
Preliminary reports suggest that more than sixty-three (63) people may have been killed, although neither the Congolese government nor the FARDC military has officially commented on the reports so far.
Videos circulating online reportedly show numerous bodies of soldiers said to be members of FARDC, Wazalendo, FDLR, and Burundian forces, raising fear and serious concern among residents of the region.
There are also reports that the attacks were not limited to Mikenke alone, but that additional drone strikes were carried out at Point Zero, resulting in the deaths of many more soldiers aligned with the government side.
Up to now, it remains unclear who operated the drones or what the primary objective of the attacks was.
Observers following developments in the region say the use of drones in the conflict demonstrates how the fighting in South Kivu is becoming increasingly advanced technologically and more intense, particularly in the mountainous areas where the AFC (Alliance Fleuve Congo) coalition and MRDP-Twirwaneho forces continue to clash with government troops.
There are also growing concerns that these attacks could further escalate tensions between the opposing sides in a region that has suffered for many years from insecurity, killings, and displacement.
The attacks come at a time when many Banyamulenge residents living in Minembwe and surrounding areas have repeatedly expressed concern over attacks allegedly carried out by groups aligned with FARDC, Wazalendo fighters, and Burundian forces.
In recent days, reports indicated that several shells had been fired into villages inhabited by Banyamulenge civilians, forcing many residents to flee their homes, leaving others without basic necessities, while some reportedly lost their lives.
Residents say the security situation continues to deteriorate, with all sides allegedly using heavy weapons in civilian-populated areas, increasing the risk of more civilian casualties in the ongoing fighting.
At present, military operations are reportedly continuing in the areas of Mikenke, Point Zero, and other locations near Minembwe. There are also reports that FARDC forces and their allies are reinforcing their presence in the region following the reported drone attacks.
No official statement has yet been released by FARDC or the Government of Burundi regarding the exact number of casualties or the origin of the drones involved.
Meanwhile, local residents continue to call for an independent investigation to establish the truth behind the incident and to find ways of ending the ongoing violence that continues to create serious humanitarian and security challenges in the hills of Minembwe.






